By Steve Janes
The off-road recreation segment all started with a small chassis, small engine and plenty of enthusiasm. And there are still millions of ATV riders who prefer to keep things small, simple and affordable.
It all starts with a smooth ride. And the 2021 Polaris Sportsman 850 Ultimate Trail LE has all that … and everything else you need in an ATV—independent suspension, electronic power steering, 12 inches of ground clearance with an arched A-arm, 27-inch 6-ply tires and an ergonomically designed seat.
When it comes to power and performance, the Polaris 850cc four-stroke SOHC twin cylinder liquid-cooled engine provides 78 horsepower to deliver all the torque you need, whether riding down a road, climbing a steep mountain trail or pulling a heavy load.
The Sportsman 850 Ultimate is as practical as it is versatile. It offers great storage, Lock & Ride accessories, LED lighting and instrumentation with Bluetooth. And industry-best 30-amp battery makes certain you have all the power you need for easy starting, bright lights and everything in between. A 3,500-lbs winch offers a help line to any task.
The Sportsman 850 Ultimate comes with Automatic PVT transmission and in-line shifting. It has On-Demand True AWD/2WD. Sealed high clearance arched dual A-arm front and rear suspensions offers nine inches (front) and 10.25-inches (rear) travel. It comes with 27-inch Duro tires on 14-inch aluminum wheels.
The Sportsman 850 Ultimate has a payload capacity of 575 lbs with 120 lbs on the front and 240 lbs on the rear. It’s pulling capacity is rated at 1,500 lbs and it comes with a standard 1.25-inch receiver. It comes in Velocity Blue.
2021 Sportsman Line
The Polaris Sportsman is the top selling automatic 4x4 ATV and has sold more than 1.6-million vehicles. Last fall, Polaris also unveiled the all-new 2021 Sportsman 450 H.O. and 2021 Sportsman 570, taking its best-selling lineup to the next level. This new generation of Sportsman is the smoothest, strongest and most versatile value ATV–the perfect choice for riders of all experience and skill levels.
From the Sportsman 450 H.O. to the purpose-built Sportsman 570 Ultimate Trail and Utility HD limited editions, the new platform features a variety of trims and packages to meet every rider’s need and style, along with 24 all-new accessories that take customization to the next level.
These Polaris Engineered accessories include:
- Rockford Fosgate Audio Storage Box—For the first time within the Sportsman lineup, the 2021 accessory collection will include a Rockford Fosgate audio storage box. This add-on features dual 6-inch speakers that connect via Bluetooth® and mounts easily to the rear rack using Lock & Ride technology, so riders can enjoy their favorite songs while on the trails.
- Lock & Ride Storage—Polaris is also taking Sportsman’s class-leading storage capacity even further with new Open Cargo Box, Rear Cooler Box, and Rear Cargo Box accessories that are fully compatible with rack extenders and the new rear utility rack.
- Superior Integration—Easy-to-install Polaris HD winch and plow systems help tackle tough chores.
- Vehicle and Rider Protection—Handguards, brush guards and improved Lock & Ride windshields ensure a safe and enjoyable ride.
- Additional rider-inspired improvements can be seen throughout the entire 2021 Sportsman lineup. Along with new color options, the Sportsman 850 Premium, XP 1000 and XP 1000 S all come equipped with new pod styling and an in-dash charging port for easy and convenient battery charging, while a premium, factory-installed Trail package is optional. For more reliable and confident starting, Sportsman Touring 570, Touring 570 Premium, Touring 850 and Touring XP 1000 models all receive a new 220 CCA Battery with 16 percent more cold-cranking amps. The Sportsman High Lifter Edition gets a new Ghost Grey color and new digital gauges, while the Sportsman XP 1000 Hunter Edition features new LED pod styling and in-dash battery charging port.
“ATVs are often the initial spark that ignites a passion for off-roading and pulls in new riders, and Sportsman is the icon that established the industry, explained Steven Menneto, president of Polaris Off Road. “As a result, it occupies a significant place within our storied brand history.”
An all-new platform features significant upgrades throughout, delivering even more consumer value. Both vehicles receive a new, bold design from front-to-back – including the handlebar-mounted pod, headlights, and front and rear rack –that’s sure to grab attention on the trail, but the improvements run much deeper than style. Polaris listened to rider feedback to make the new Sportsman 450 H.O. and Sportsman 570 smoother, stronger and more versatile than ever.
Polaris has also improved the Ultimate Trail to include LED headlights, including the steerable pod light, for maximum illumination and a killer look. Added features also include painted springs, a Polaris HD 2,500-pound winch, dual arched A-arms, 14-inch aluminum wheels and 26-inch Duro tires.
The Utility HD comes standard with driveshaft seals and heavy-duty bearings to withstand extra punishment. Purpose-built for hard work, it also includes a front bumper with an integrated front hitch, front and rear utility racks, a switched rear power port and scratch resistant paint.
Industry-first technology is now offered on the Ultimate Trail and Utility HD Limited Edition models including Ride Control with low-effort throttle, three-mode drive control, geo-fencing and speed limiting capabilities, allowing owners to set speed inside and outside of areas to inspire confidence in new riders or ensure lower speeds for dust enforcement. Speed limiting makes tasks like spraying, fertilizing, and seeding easier, with less fatigue for the rider.
2021 Pricing: Sportsman 450 H.O. starting at $6,399; Sportsman 450 H.O. EPS starting at $7,299; Sportsman 570 starting at $6,999; Sportsman 570 EPS starting at $7,999; Sportsman 570 Premium starting at $8,399; Sportsman 570 Hunter Edition starting at $10,299; Sportsman 570 Ultimate Trail LE starting at $9,499; and Sportsman 570 Utility HD LE starting at $8,649.
For full details on the 2021 Sportsman models, visit Polaris.com/ATV. Join the conversation on Polaris’ social channels: Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.